Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Its not often I actually earn my money. About three weeks every two years I work my nuts off & justify my easy existence. Unfortunately that time is now. See, last time this happened it was fine. Not pleasant, but fine. But I have turned the corner. Two years of PC solitaire, age, and the occasional pint of hobsons has told on me. Working for a living is harder than it once was. OK. I can do the work stuff. Working weekends. Fourteen hour days. No worries. Its not for long. I will be golden boy & then its another two years of the easy life. Unfortunately, there is a brief gap between work and sleep. oh Boy. Brief it may be, but it can last a lifetime.

Tuesday. Its 5.30 am. I approach the car with a view to being in Tamworth by 6.30 am. It seems that the previous night I left the car door open. I have a condensation problem. OK. Not the best at 5.30am but I kind of smear the windows with the sleeve of my jumper, put the heating on full & set off. I'm cruising along the A5 at a steady 60. No traffic. The today program on radio 4. Its OK. Of course the cat in my passenger seat is a worry. CAT??? There is a cat in my passenger seat!!! Its not happy. To be honest, nor am I. I return home (because, although in principle I hate cats, in reality I cannot just eject one on the A5). Remove the cat, which actually sounds easier than it is. Off to work.

Tuesday. 8.30pm. I get home. Not the best of days. Its dark. The aged contents of the slow cooker smell of death. no matter. Water the green house & straight to bed. The other weekend I moved some small acer trees. I may have mentioned this. You'd expect that after trees had been moved, soil redistributed, and assuming that mass is constant at the sub light speeds at which I typically operate, the net effect on the height above sea level would be negligible. But somehow I have been left with a hole. About 3 x 3 by 2 foot deep. And it lies between my back door and my greenhouse. OK. I fell in it. I expect that. I was covered in dirt, slightly sore, it was waiting to happen & it did. That's fine. Joss. Karma. But having watered the greenhouse I make the return trip. And Fall in the Damn hole AGAIN.

I have no idea what the point of this post is, but sympathy would be nice.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are the coolest man i know x

10:51 PM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

You have my sympathy. I hope the hard work ends soon.

How long did it take to notice the cat?! You crack me up!

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll buy you a pint tomorrow to make all the nastiness go away. Of course, you'll have to buy many of the other twelve pints yourself but hey-ho.

All day rugby sesh? I'm being finance by the pennies tin again!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

As soon as I stop laughing, you'll have all my sympathy.

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am so glad you commented on my blog. i love to read yours because your funny but i lost the link when i had to dump my hard drive last time. I am going to go ahead and link to you so i don';t loose it again. i think Echinacea is a great flower to be :). You would have healing powers

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home