Sunday, February 18, 2007

yes sir, I can boogie..

I made a second attempt at a fruit cake. And this time I cannot entirely blame the oven. I fell asleep. But all was not as tragic as before. With the knife weilding action of a klansmen in his prime, I removed the darker brown areas. Once I sliced it up, it looked remarkably cake like. Ok, so it had the texture of the sawdust from the bottom of a rodents cage, but not as moist. Still, good looks count in this world.

And, in a moment of complete insanity from the judges at the Crown, it won. Yes, I am, once again, current 'Master Baker of oakengates'. Like an aging Rocky I have regained my title after years in the baking wilderness. Best of all, I held that wastrel (and ocasional teacher of dustpan technology) Jim to second place. Ok, so his entry was far better than mine. Indeed, I preferred all the other entries, except my discus, to the winner. But the judges descision is final. I am the champion. God like & glorious. THE master baker.

And there was free beer. free beer. Oh yeah baby.

So, the next baking contest at the Crown is on Easter saturday. Hot cross buns. Where I shall be defending my title against allcomers. Bring it on, bring it on.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A travesty, quite frankly. Jim should demand a steward's enquiry. His entry was as fruity and moist as Nigella's naughty bits and clearly should have won. However, I was over ruled by the other senior fruitcakes that made up the rest of the judging panel.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have once again brought pride to the lees clan . bro

6:15 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I've never made a fruitcake. They typically scare me. The ones I've been introduced to are either the consistency of a brick or super sweet. So were the judges drunk? Did they drink the free beer before judging? Congrats on your win. ;-)

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well i'm not happy. really. still as my mother said bigger losses at sea. still i used kiki's mothers recipe - so dont expexect to get served rich. And Judge julies - fair enough u can only stand up 4 what u think. i applaude that. i've also just retunded from the crown - sorry 4 a ny typos
Jim (ex masterbaker of oakengates)

7:53 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

I'd love to see you shake your ass.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home