Friday, September 29, 2006

These boots were made..

The west highland way starts just outside Glasgow and ends about 100 miles north in Fort William. So I packed a second pair of socks & my baby bro & I started walking. In a leisurley 7 days (the big boys do it in 5. The record is 16 hours) we strolled through the trossacks and western highlands. Lords of the moors. Masters of the Glens. Now I have to confess, no camping & carring rucksacks for us. We left that malarky to the hard girls. No we were B&B, ensuite bathrooms & cooked breakfasts and luggage ferried door to door. The weather, in something of a record for Scotland, was perfect. It only rained one day & that was a mere 9 mile jaunt so we were in the pub by 1. The rest was grand scenery, rolling moors, hills, lochs, and friendly girls. It was fine, it was dandy.

Well, mostly. Despite it being a well posted trail we did get lost. twice. in the first mile and a half. After day one we had a new rule. No more than 2 pints in the pub lunchtime. I did threaten to throw my bro's mobile into the loch if it went off just once more. There was an occasion when two pages of the guide book were stuck together & we discovered an unexpected mountain between ourselves and the B&B. My knee may never be right again. Some of the B&B owners were straight out of Royston Vasey, and one ensuite was in a wardrobe and clearly not designed for the more rotund figure. I failed to climb the stairs at the kingshouse hotel. My brother failed to find the bathroom. I somehow locked my camera on day 2. The beer was, on the whole, keg. And frankly piss. I very nearly didnt drink lots. I actually pulled my neck muscle reaching for a beer. And every day, no matter how long or short the walk, the last mile was a bastard.

The end, outside a going shop on a busy roundabout in Fort William was something of an anticlimax. But on the whole it was great. Better than great. And now, a week later, if I sit very still I almost stop hurting. So will I do it again? Nope. Bugger that. But if I did we need to get a couple of 'wer'e not gay, we're brothers' T-shirts printed up.

Still cant upload pictures but my sis-in-law has put my Bro's here

5 Comments:

Blogger Tea said...

Gorgeous pictures. B&B`s are much better, I agree. Goose grease....my Mum used to rub that on for sore muscles...or maybe it was for colds, lovely stuff.

tea
xo

5:28 PM  
Blogger Cynnie said...

Oh great!!..I love snagging pics off you and posting them on my blog...
So far you havent noticed..so I'm telling you!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How big are your ears!
They're HUGE!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You're the most athletic drunkard I know.

12:18 AM  
Blogger mal said...

Been there,
Did that,
printing the T-Shirts.

Yup, I think you have it covered *G*

sounds like you had fun

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home