Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Beetle excess

There are over 300,000 species of beetle identified. Thats more than any other type of animal by a lot. More are being discovered every day. And I find myself asking why?
There are about 240 species of bumblebee world wide. The UK has 25 species (although several are nearing or may be extinct). Now, the bumblebee is a fine comedy insect and deserves to exist just to anoy those engineers who can prove mathmatically that it can't fly. But 240 different species. I mean, bumblebee. 1. and its done. move on. Then someone points out that there are over 300,000 species of Coleoptera. Now, I've nothing against beetles as such. But 300,000 species and you only do Rhino's in grey? No offence to our creator but that's just a bit anal.

5 Comments:

Blogger BigDaddyMerk said...

I'd like to point out to readers that Rich has been in the pub since half five and he didn't leave till 9.

I, of course, drank orange juice.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Old Man Rich said...

Stav, I think we need to sit down and have a little chat...

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you can cup him?

Beer tonight Rich?

10:32 AM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

The beetles will rise up and destroy us!

7:36 PM  
Blogger BigDaddyMerk said...

check your email Rich

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home