Wednesday, May 17, 2006

ya ya - ate worms - not a Scot - ya ya

So I ate worms. It was a bet. And a bet is a bet. But tougher than I expected. In the past all I had to do was wave a spade in the direction of my garden and worms abounded. But once they know your eating them its a different game. A lot of rummaging through the rain filled sod as it were. But finally I have worms. So to purge them of dirt you let them spend 12 hours in damp cornflour. Fine. Yvonne lends (gives possibly) me cornflour. Worms are left to roam. I come home from work to find the cornflour has set into a solid block, imprisoning the worms. A good rinse free's them. Boy do they wriggle. But after 12 hours imprisoned in concrete so would I. They still looked happy as I dropped them into boiling water.
I'm a wimp. I hate killing things. I'm no veggie, if other people do the dirty work I have no qualms. I just don't - you know, like killing things. I'm a wimp. Still, boiled the crap out of the worms. Forced Gaz to eat one (no point owning a dwarf otherwise) and when he wasn't sick I took them to the pub. And we ate. Congats to Me, Gaz, H, Denis and Becky. (actually, Becky got a tase for them & we had to restrain her.) Unfortunately, the pictures of worm cooking did not come out. But there are a few of worm eating.




The one I ate was very gritty & very bitter. Not a pleasant experience. I can't see them becoming a regular part of my diet.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gross!

JohnJ

9:49 AM  
Blogger BigDaddyMerk said...

you lot are so wrong.

I wasn't touching that shite....I've tasted your cockles*







*not a euphemism

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is not much to do in Telford is there?

2:59 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

You're supposed to squeeze out the crap before you eat them.

Did you do that?

If not you'll all be ill.

I like the p0rno image of worm eating, gave me a semi-on.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong.

I have tasted his cockles.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well worth my pound!

As Susie Derkins said back to Calvin "Usually, if you're eating worms, you're not calling any shots at all!".

But well done (in the true spirit of idiocy) and I look forward to frog and vole season. Now, anyone for eye of newt and wing of bat...?

6:41 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I thought it was a condom in your mouth before I read the title and the post. So what did you win out of the bet?

6:09 AM  
Blogger Old Man Rich said...

I won nothing. Nada. Zip. Somtimes the glory is enough.
But the charity pot got a shiney pound. And the joy of extracting money from a Scot is almost imeasurable.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Notsocranky Yankee said...

Sounds like a lot of cooking just to eat worms! When I was around 8 yrs. old a kid in my class ate worms on the playground right out of the ground. Just swallowed them. Our teacher had just read a book called "How to Eat Fried Worms" and he did it on a dare.

I learned in survival school to make tea with ants. mmmm

I like that you brought the worms to the bar. You can almost eat anything with a beer chaser!

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home