Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Sorry


Okay, okay my little Buddhist conscience. I was wrong to kill the wasp. I did it entirely out of spite. It made the sting no less painful & I could have easily (ish) captured it & released it outside. And should have. I regret it and apologise unconditionally to wasps, wasp lovers, and wasp gods everywhere.

A little research reveals… “wasps have not developed methods of storing food for the winter, and this is why their colonies only last for one season in temperate regions. Each colony starts to break up in the autumn and the workers die of cold. However, before this happens new queens and males have been developed and have swarmed out of the colony to mate. The males die soon after mating, but the young fertilised females search for a sheltered spot where they can spend the winter. Such dormant queens can often be found in outhouses and lofts during the winter”.

And occasionally in Old Man Rich’s bed. So I probably killed a young queen. Wiping out with a single blow whole future generations. That’s made me feel no end of better. Still, at least the hand has returned to its normal size and stopped hurting.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark Burton said...

Wasps have hives, we have houses. It should be an unwritten rule that if one invades the other then its ever human/insect for themselves!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

The last time I tried to save a wasp (tried to shoo it out the classroom window away from angry children with thick textbooks), I ended up spending two nights in the hospital. Turns out I was allergic. An angry strep infection caused a red line to climb all the way to my collar bone. I saved the wasp and the damn thing nearly killed me. So don't feel so bad.

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Young Queen!?! KiKis favorite

10:51 AM  
Blogger Anna Pet said...

I agree with burt...if you got bit outside it would be a different story...but wasp in the bed...good as dead.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey babe

Dont feel bad - wasps are spawn of the devil and should be destroyed every time ..

Here endth the first lesson from the Gospel of St Lessa of the www.telford-live.co.uk

http://www.telford-live.com/

Please feel free to share your teachings with us at telford-live!

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasps are evil and are spawn of the devil - they should dieQ

Here endth the first lesson from the gospel of St Lessa of telford-live.com

http://www.telford-live.com/

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home