Monday, November 07, 2005

Is nowhere safe?

Last night I was stung by a wasp. Now, I'm pretty tolerant of the whole creatures that attack you thing. If your stupid enough to wander through the Congo don't moan when you find maggots living under your skin. Even acquiring leeches in central Sydney, whilst unexpected, was OK. But I do not, repeat, DO NOT, think that being stung by a wasp whilst lying in my own bed is acceptable.

Yup, I was snuggled up under my biggest duvet (having successfully buggered the central heating on Saturday)and I felt something uncomfortable against my buttock. So I reach down and Zap! With surprising agility for a man of my age and girth, I leaped out of bed, threw back the cover and revealed a wasp crawling about on the sheet. With a quick flick of a slipper its short life was ended. But the damage was done. It had stung me right between my finger and thumb. Worse, I got a case of the squirms & had to keep putting on the light & checking the bed for other offenders. I'll swear there was a tiger in there at one point but it managed to hide. This morning I am tired and have a swollen hand. Irritable does not even come close.

So Kiddies. Next time you sucking an ice lolly and a wasp comes buzzing up, and you very sensibly start screaming, running around and flapping your arms like a windmill on speed, and some adult says 'Just stay still and ignore it and it won't hurt you' you have my permission to reply 'Uncle Rich says your talking complete bollocks' and to stick your lolly right up their...

7 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Damn them and all their bastard kind!

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maggots under your skin ? x

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was stung by a bee last week...

...fifteen quid for a jar of honey

Have you got an infestation-free spare room yet?

12:40 PM  
Blogger M is for... said...

You should laminated permission cards made up to pin on the inside of our jackets. On the opposite side, it should have "If you've found this person screaming and being windmill-like, please call..." information

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard you once thought you had rabbits under the old 'skin. turned out it was a hair.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Anna Pet said...

That's horrible, you are absolutely right...wasps in bed is completely unacceptable.

I know the feeling of being creeped out...that is how it was with the spiders....I felt like they were everywhere and I am SURE I was bitten while sleeping although a spider bite doesn't hurt as much as a wasp bite.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I always feel bad for bees. If i get stung by a bee, I feel remorse, cos it dies! unless its one of those big hairy ones, I dont think those are as useful as the honey bees.

I like the way the pollen collects on bees legs. It makes him look like he's got leg warmers on.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home