Thursday, September 01, 2005

Eat it.

Eat everything. That’s the rule. Nothing worse than finicky eaters. Just eat it. ...OK, it ought to be food. The human species has been around a long while and if no one else is eating it then its probably a bad idea to put it in your mouth. For instance, those little red frogs that they use to poison the tips of arrows. Don’t eat them. But everything else. Eat it. That’s the rule.
Now here are the exceptions to the rule.
Don’t eat endangered species. No matter how good they taste.
Eating whales is wrong. Even if they are not an endangered species. Its plain wrong. (this rule may also apply to eating humans and elephants. I’ve never had the opportunity so I’m not too sure where I stand on this).
Don’t eat anything who’s production involves excessive cruelty. So, no more veal or goose liver pate damn it. The eggs should be barn or free range. As should the chicken. Now, I’m a bit slack on that last point. I eat KFC (yeah, I know, but sometimes I’m drunk and hungry) and I don’t ask if the chicken had a fun life. And if your going to feed a world population of 11Billion then there is going to be some intensive farming. But if you’re in a supermarket and for a bit extra you can buy the free range meat, buy the free range meat.
Don’t eat anything who’s production/harvest damages the environment, seriously impacts other species, or is unsustainable. This is tough. How can you tell if your cod came from the beautifully managed Icelandic waters or the over fished wasteland of the North Sea? And if you’ve not been told about the eco-damage caused by scallop dredging then your going to love scallops. And I really wish I didn’t know because I love scallops and they are now on my proscribed list. But you can check if it says line-caught on the tuna tin. Try to buy organic, wildlife friendly, fair trade. If you at least appear to make the effort you should be ok come judgement day.
Don’t eat anything your allergic to. Doesn’t apply to me fortunately. But if your allergic to nuts eating nuts is just plain dumb.
Now a couple of additional guidelines. These are optional. You can skip them if you want. (but it means you’re a freak).
Don’t eat stuff you don’t like. This is not food you don’t fancy the look of, or food that other people have told you is vile. Its stuff you’ve tried and think tastes like excrement. For me this includes instant mashed potatoes and Manioc root. It used to include celery, but I can kind of live with that now. Tastes change so re-try stuff every now and then.
Don’t eat stuff that’s still moving. I was going to say still alive but I am partial to oysters (organic, ozone friendly, free range oysters, obviously). But stuff that’s still wriggling around, I just can’t do that.
Avoid cheese. At some point I will blog at length about cheese. Meanwhile, cheese is wrong.
Of course. All this assumes you have the luxury of choosing what you eat. If the option is dying then eat it. Cheesy whale snacks or starvation? Go with the cheesy whale snacks. Although I’m still suggesting you avoid those little red frogs.

So, let me know the most disgusting thing you’ve ever had in your mouth. (not open to ex girlfriends).

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your winky

9:56 AM  
Blogger Mark Burton said...

Swedish liquorice.
1% the normal ingredients of liquorice 99% salt.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Chicharrones is the nastiest thing I have ever had in my mouth. Weird thing is, on occasion I love it and on others, it gags the shit out of me. It's pronounced Cheech-a-rone-ays and you roll the R. It is served in burritos and what it is is boiled pork rinds. Instead of frying and fluffing them, they boil them and they taste exactly like a fried pork rind only they are chewy and slimy and gross. Tripe isn't exactly great either. Chevito's or goats are actually not to bad. The mexicans will buy a couple BBQ goats and take them to the party and lean them over the back of the pick up and go to work on them. When it is over, the only thing not eaten will be the skin/hair which is used for other things and the bones. There will be about thirty dishes made from those goats and everyone will party all night. Until I moved here I never had a clue people actually EAT goats. I was caught off guard the first time I went to one of those parties and dinner was still kicking and breathing in the back of a pick up and it was a goat. Pretty good food though. Until later...

3:19 AM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Fancy eating me?

1:52 PM  
Blogger BigDaddyMerk said...

urmmm no thanks, you sweat too much.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Salty, no?

12:36 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Lutefisk. Hands down.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Anna Pet said...

boiled dandelion root...horseradish..okra...those things I find absolutely disgusting...There are other things that I won't mention but I think I am good with those 3.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given what Mr Stubbs is likely to have put in his mouth, even if he had tasted my winky I'm sure it wouldnt be in his most vile list. I suspect someone is using his name.
Sarah & Jessica. No idea what snow peas or lutefisk are.
Burt. Hmm. What are the normal ingredients of liquorice?
Jeff, I am kind of partial to goat, although I must confess the first time someone said "meet billy, he's our lunch" and then slaughtered him rather noisily I was a bit disturbed. If you like slimey, chewy pork products try guinea pig. All the advantages of badly cooked pig rind with the added advantage that you get this skinless head grinning at you through your meal.
Sally. See those pointy teeth? you have them for a reason.
Anna, love horseraddish, not keen on ocra, will boil a dandylion root this week and let you know.
Merk, and sweat is the only thing that puts you off?
Dan. NO.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Anna Pet said...

I forgot to mention how disgusting I find pate, actually ducks and geese are better alive and quacking or honking than for eating in my opininion...and V8....ewwwwww V8 is soooooo gross. I don't care how many servings of veggies it is I don't like it.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich.
Worst thing I ever ate (or tried) was a disgusting concoction (with chilli things) you cooked in the middle of Africa.

Hi all. Ever since Rich sent me this site i take a wee look when my brain fails at work. So hello from NZ.

Annelies

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home