Wednesday, August 31, 2005

More Bug Stuff

Here's a little fella I met in Peru.



Ok, not a giant centipede, but bigger than most I would say. (and I only held it because no one had told me about the poisened pincers).

So lets get this clear, I have nothing against beetles. Ok, last months outbreak of weevils in my kitchen was a little annoying (ah the joys of organic, fair trade dried coconut)and my one experience of bed bugs was not particularly fun, but on the whole beetles are ok. I even pick up ladybirds and bring them home to dine on the greenfly that infest my fuchias. Should my new house purchase ever happen the garden will have a nature area, resplendent with rotting logs and bug boxes specifically to encourage beetles to move in. I am the beetles friend. Its just the beetle statistics that un-nerve me. There are more species of beetle than any other animal. Ok, so something has to top the list, why not beetles? But they win by so much its scary. Not only are there more species of beetle than any other animal, they nearly outnumber all the other animal species combined. Yup. nearly 50% of the animal species on the planet are beetles. You telling me that there is no cosmic significance in that? Are you seeing it yet? The grand architect/alien life inseminators/fickle evolutionary fates REALLY like beetles. And we're not beetles. We're the species with a megabuck roach poisening industry.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok. ok. now drop the beetle rant, ya freak. x

11:46 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Is it any coincidence that the most successful pop group of all time also share the name?

I think not.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I've gotta ask--have you ever tried eating bugs? I can't decide if that seems very out-of-character or in-character for you.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have eaten locust dipped in honey. It was just like unpleasantly crunchy honey. I like snails in garlic which is about as close to regular bug eating as I go.

9:05 AM  
Blogger M is for... said...

OMR - thanks for the write up
Steve - Totally in agreement with you
Jessica - EEEEEEEEEEEW! when the cicadas were out last year, people in the area when crazy for them - mostly, eating them -bleeeeeeeeeeaaaaagh!
Sally - Praying Manti - also not a snuggly pet

5:44 PM  
Blogger BigDaddyMerk said...

resplendent with rotting logs is far and away the best line you've ever written.

well done.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Anna Pet said...

bugs are icky yet fascinating...there are more beetles than any other type of bug because they are the most resiliant and adaptable of all insects. I find them the least offensive...I think that it is because they tend to stay out of the spaces that I choose to inhabit so if I do run into a beetle it is in "nature" probabley because they live mostly off decaying matter...I have had no bad beetle experiences...also some species can be so beautiful with iridescent colours and smooth hard shiny shells. I love shiny pretty things...

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home