Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Cuttlefish

I know you just pretend to read my drunken ramblings. What you really want is more fish news.
So cuttlefish. If I was forced to pick a favourite creature then I think it would be Cuttlefish. I have been lucky enough to meet them in the wild twice, Once snorkling off Mauritius and once on a night dive off Scotland. They posses an almost hypnotic quality, changing colour to match their surroundings, then spectacular giving flushes of pinks and blues.
So a bit about them. On the whole they’re are pretty intelligent. Cleverer than a domestic cat (don’t start me on the stupidity of cats. Cats are vermin). They can change colour, both for camouflage, courtship displays and now scientists believe as a fairly complicated & extensive form of communication. They have 10 tentacles, use jets of water to propel themselves about and are aggressive lovers. But most of all they are beautiful. If dreams had shapes they would look like cuttlefish. Unfortunately for cuttlefish, they also taste pretty good pan fried.
So this upset me quite a lot.
Another resource that we could have managed, preserved, exploited in an environmentally friendly way. But no, lets hunt them to near extinction and then move on to our next victim. It staggers me, this constant failure of our species to learn from our mistakes. To take the short term win with no thought for tomorrow. Surely evolution should have sorted us out by now? Once again humanity fails to live up to its potential and I am saddened. Worse, its yet another tasty species on my ever growing list of creatures I am no longer prepared to eat. Worst of all, what shape will our children’s dreams be once the cuttlefish have gone?

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna Pet said...

I have never seen a cuttlefish but now I have an overwhelming desire to do so....they sound beautiful. You are one of the most interesting bloggers around.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home