Wednesday, August 10, 2005

More censorship, less censorship.

I just bought a load of DVD’s, so that on Saturday when I have the annual charred meat fest the children can be locked away in a dark room with a TV to look after them whilst the responsible adults drink to excess. Last night I watched Princess Monoko. It’s a beautiful film. But violent? People have limbs sliced off fairly graphically. Giant wolves eat people, demons infect the good and arrows blast off peoples heads. And its rated PG. (parental guidance). Not even a 12. Well the Uncle Rich guidance is the kids ain’t watching it. And I wondered how the hell this got a PG from the censors. Ahh, no nudity, no sex.

Yup, you can happily feed out a diet of vitriol and bile, have hate, shootings and murders to your hearts content and its quality family entertainment (I’m thinking of East Enders but its not alone) However, show a nipple before the watershed and there is mass panic. Heaven forbid an erect penis should ever appear, oh the moral outrage that would result. Yup, violent killing is fine but consenting sex between a loving couple is evil and wrong.

Is it just me or are our values a little screwy?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Quite screwy. But to be fair, the MPAA gave Princess Mononoke a PG-13 for images of violence and gore while Shrek got a PG for mild language and crude humor. Meaning, sometimes they do get it right.

If you liked Miyazaki, you should see Spirited Away. PG for "some scary moments" (like when the girl's parents turn into pigs), but essentially ok for the kiddies.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved spirited away. But think the brats will find it 'boring'. Looks like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Nemo, the invincibles and (once we are to drunk to care about them having nightmares)Buffy.
Of course, if it rains, or the cricket is close then we get the TV & the kids have to play in the street.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did someone mention "erect penis".

BTW, I've not seen it but I also hear Spirited Away is a great movie (I heard this from adults who have watched it - no idea what it's like for kids).

John.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

New Values is a great Iggy Pop album.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Anna Pet said...

I say that you can't beat labrynthe when it comes to kids movies or even Ella Enchantd....I loved Spirited Away...that movie was SOOOOOOO beautiful I loved it!

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home