Monday, August 08, 2005

Fish news

A couple of fish stories that caught my eye...
British bloke to export shark fins to the far east
I'm really not sure how I feel about this. Years ago I used to eat shark (and its lovely) but shark populations are being devastated & they have a relatively low birth-rate so now I don’t. Except I will eat huss as I know that the common dogfish is not endangered. Commercial fishing for sharks fins tends to be particularly abhorrent as often the fin is removed & the rest of the shark simply dumped. However, Tope isn't endangered (I hope) and it sounds like this bloke will be using the rest of the fish, so why should I disapprove. Well, I don't. Except that if we fish for shark fins (however well managed) that means we can't really ask other countries not to. And some sharks will become extinct if over fishing continues. And there is that phrase 'well managed' and I look at how well we managed our fish stocks in the past and shudder. There, made up my mind. The guy is an evil arse and must be stopped. Letter to the minister on the way.

Happier news is that a billionaire is building a massive new aquarium.
Big Aquarium story
I love aquariums. There is something wondeful and magic about them. A couple of my favourites are Sydney aquarium, which I visited four times in five days - the tropical reef tank is amazing, and at the other end of the scale the little museum on Hartland Quay which has a couple of little tanks with creatures from the local rock pools in. I have still not been to 'The Deep' up in Hull yet. I might treat myself to a trip this winter. As for Atlanta - well, that may have to wait a while but its definitely on the list.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the monterrey bay aquarium is well worth a visit or two! They even had a great white in captivity for a while, but they released it after a couple of months.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merk has friends?

Isn't that big Steinbeck country - not sure I could go there without turning into a dribbling literary freak.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

morti took the words right out of my mouth. Monterrey is Steinbeck country gone horribly awry. Picture a minimall called "Cannery Row." They probably sell Grapes of Wrath t-shirts.

That said, the aquarium is fabulous because it spills right out into the bay. Great collection and great design. We went there on our honeymoon--pet the rays and everything.

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always were a fish man Rich. I remember vividly the morning-after devastation caused by one tank, some fish and various contaminants known by their scientific names “vodka” and “eggs”.

John.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a happy memory John. Mainly because I was trying to get my leg over Jan & people kept coming into my room to tell me all my fish were dying. Rather spoilt the moment.
Once I get the new place sorted I am going to get a big tank & probably keep discus. (assuming it doesn't bankrupt me getting the house fixed up).

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiger barbs. Those were my favorite. And a placostomous (spelling?). Now those are fish that can handle their drink!

5:30 PM  
Blogger BigDaddyMerk said...

Yes Rich, I do have friends. You're one of them. I need to have a rethink!

At least until Old Man Rich Bar opens for business!

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home