Sunday, October 14, 2007

Bang, Bang

It wasn’t pretty or clever. It wasn’t the beautiful game that rugby can be. This was two sides in an ugly, desperate slugfest. I could hardly bare the pressure. Its only a game, I kept telling myself. Only a game. Yeah., right. I watched it alone at chez rich. I couldn’t have watched it with anyone. I paced, I screamed. When Johnny elected to kick hugely long at goal rather than a sensible touch and then missed I drop kicked a cactus in ceramic pot in my rage.

And, as much by luck as judgment a brave and gritty England squeezed a win against the equally dogged French. It really could have gone either way. So, did the French whine about the referee? Their luck? The cheating English? No, having just gone out of the world cup France captain Raphael Ibanez said “England deserved to win and they took their chances when it mattered”.

How you lose is as important as how you win. Respect to France. Whining Kiwi’s listen and learn.

And afterwards (and before, and during) there was beer. Too much beer. Next week against all odds England are in the world cup final. I’m not sure I can stand the strain.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Go team.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We CAN win this. I know it. I'm quite literally swinging low.

3:07 PM  
Blogger A Margarita said...

I confess I'm not much of a sports fan, but nothing can get me riled me up as much as my Blue Devils during the playoffs.

However, since I'm partial to the English, "Go Team, Go!" hehe.

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home