Friday, June 02, 2006

Moral Dilemas.

Bored at work? Try these moral dilemas.

1. Personally I do not feel obligated to save the violinist, since I was kidnapped. But I would. And if they had just asked nicely I probably would have done it anyway.

2 & 3. Would flip the switch. (all other factors being equal).
Would not push the fat bloke of the bridge. Cannot justify that. Just wouldn’t do it.

4. Not sure if I could kill Big Jack if he is a friend. Possibly with dynamite but if I had a small pick in my pack would I hack him out? I think not. Might not try too hard to stop the others doing it though. (so Im a bad person. whats new).

Other thoughts are:
I don't think the violinist question reflects the abortion issue unless the woman is a rape victim, as there was an element of choice & known potential consequences & you can't just walk away from an unwanted birth after 9 months with everyone happy...
I would not jump of a bridge to certain death to save 5 strangers, though I might take a 50/50 risk if I was drunk. So most days...
Would not be stupid enough to let the fat bloke be the first to try & get out of the cave. However, if I was in that situation I would take the four lengths of plastic tube from my pack, feed them up through Jacks digestive system & use him as a human snorkle until help arrives. Hell, I expect Jack usually pays good money for that sort of thing - the fat old pervert.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"choice & known potential consequences "

That is a telling phrase.

Suprisingly (for those who know me) I would not sacrifice myself for others, would not kill one person to save 5, would not push the man off the bridge and would not kill the fat bloke.

The violinist dilema is very clever. Who says that abortion is the only trauma? Having an unwanted being draining the life out of you 24/7 for nine months is not the safe option, believe me.

It's not the thought of making the wrong choice that worries me, rather my concern is the height of the moral highground that most people seem to view the world from.

We can argue theoretical moral debates until the cows come home, priding our smug little selves on how clever we are, but nothing will prepare us for our instinctive response to actual events.

How smug and clever will we be then?

11:21 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Kill'em all!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm bored Rich - but not this bored

King of dustpans

2:55 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That was fun. I answered the same way you did. I explore caves for fun, and before I answered the last question I thought, "moron, don't send the fat guy up first!" And your idea about the air hole proves how warped you are. Of course I'm warped too since I like frogs and bats. But I don't think I'll start keeping plastic tube in my cave pack.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home