Tuesday, December 19, 2006

gone to the dogs

On Saturday evening I accompanied a bunch of reprobates from the Crown to Monmore Green to watch the greyhounds race, consume bad beer & eat dodgy burgers. And, of course, invest in the outcome of this noble sport. No, its not gambling, it’s a test of skill, judgement and knowledge. Suffice to say I bet on the dogs with the best comedy names and, remarkably, ended the night about 20p in credit.
Now, just before we left the pub we were provided with a ‘hot tip’. Knowing that this was probably just an attempt to adjust the odds I sensibly backed a different dog. Of course, all the other fools backed the tip. Which came in at 4-1. Damn. Its not losing that I object to, but the others winning

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

You can't beat the mini-betting of the dogs.

Unless you're having sex that is...

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knowing me Redshell, knowing you OMR, aha!

Well it's on, Im in Walsall starting the 8th Jan for 5 weeks.

Telford is but a hop skip and a car away, I have my trusty small driver and a company VW.

I have my nuns outfit and my copy of Old Whittaker Almanac and I shall be a-visiting The Crown when I get away from making people redundant and doing all important process-shit.

Look out for me, I shall be the one looming large in your legend.

I shall also be tracing my family history as apparently my nanna's second husband came from Telford. Small world.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home