Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Stag Beetles

The stag beetle is Europe’s largest beetle – up to 8cm for the males which have the ‘horns’. Despite there fearsome look they are completely harmless. (well, one site tells me that the females can give a bit of a nip if provoked, so best not discuss politics or religion with them). They live as grubs in dead and rotting wood for 5 to 7 years before having a brief beetle summer of flying, fighting, lust and egg laying. Due to a lack of rotting wood they are in serious decline in the UK and are a protected species. I have never seen one but I look at the pictures and I think ok, maybe gods beetle fixations not so strange after all. Very cool.

4 Comments:

Blogger HannoverFist said...

I've heard the sole purpose of the horns is to up-end and flip over a rival male.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Old Man Rich said...

Sally, Sally, Sally.
It was not the beetles fault. It was your brothers. And you need to exact some hideous revenge on them. But don't blame the beetles.



(But yeah - I did it to scare you).

9:15 PM  
Blogger Anna Pet said...

Wow that beetle is nice and big...that thing is not going to sneak up on anyone. That is the thing that scares me about bugs is that they always seem to appear out of nowhere.

:-D

Anna

7:28 PM  
Blogger M is for... said...

I have comfirmed my dislike of all things entomological this weekend.
I prefer them in books or behind 1/2" thick plexi at the zoo

I've got hte itchies just looking at it -ew!

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home