Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Solar PV ?

As you know if your a regular here, I'm a bit of a green hippy freak. I really believe that mans impact on the planet is the single most pressing issue today. If we continue as we are then our grandchildren are going to have a poor time of it. The great wheat growing states of the central USA will be to arid to grow wheat. Europe will be much reduced by flooding & a lot, lot colder. The next big hurricane season (due in 30 years) will wipe out most of the gulf of Mexico (goodbye Florida). The Sahara will expand to cover most of north Africa. Bangladesh will no longer exist. There will be no frogs. Can you imagine a childhood without the joy of paddling through ponds armed with a net, frog hunting? Every climate model in existence predicts this. The question is not if, its when. The worst case scenario says 25 years. The best says 150. Our grandchildren will see this. Our children may well see this. Hell, If I'm lucky I might still be here.

It can be turned around. But we are running out of time. Unfortunately, we are blessed with politicians incapable of looking past the next election. At the recent climate conference in Canada the US delegation refused to even discuss long term solutions for reducing global warming. Refused even to talk!

But I believe that there is hope. I think the little guy can make a difference. If I do my best, and everybody does their best, to be environmentally friendly then we can turn this around. And even if we can't, I will be able to look my nephews & nieces in the face & say 'I tried my damnedest'.

I will shortly be blogging my 10 green resolutions for 2006. Meanwhile, I am considering PV solar tiles for the roof. PV solar is initially expensive (about £6000 for a 2kw plant I think) but it will produce about half my yearly electric requirement, I think I can get a grant for half the cost, and I can sell any excess electric to my energy supplier. It looks like it would pay for itself in under 10 years & has a 25 year lifetime, so I would be quids in long term, assuming I can get a fairly low interest loan for the initial cost. The UK could easily supply all its daytime electrical needs using PV solar electric. This would result in a massive reduction in our greenhouse gas production without the need for a second generation of nuclear power plants. I would really like the government to legislate that all newbuild property had to be roofed with PV solar tiles or panels. Meanwhile, I think I have a responsibility to install it at my place if at all practical. If you talk the talk you must walk the walk. Has anyone out there used PV solar themselves?

4 Comments:

Blogger M is for... said...

IT's a shame Solar techonology remains so expensive when it can do so much good.

It's great you can get a grant for it!

8:17 PM  
Blogger BigDaddyMerk said...

I think it's a great idea mate;

http://www.est.co.uk/myhome/generating/ or T&WC do one for solar hot water (called EnergyWise Solar) more info here http://www.savenergy.org/

1:07 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

And if you thought the Crown was cool . . .

Ok, so I've never been there. But I have been here, to the New Belgium brewery. Good beer, good prices, good for the environment. Though they don't use solar panels, it's the U.S.'s first 100% wind-powered brewery. Does life get any better than this?

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust me MGS, after a friday night on the Hobsons I daren't risk a fart.

J. The Crown has many fine points but Cool it aint. I do like the idea that drinking beer can be environmentally friendly though.

BDM. Cheers, EST is proving very helpful.

MN. The thing is, long term it pays for its self. There is no reason why new buildings shouldn't all be fitted with solar. Particularly buildings like schools which have large roofs, minimal nighttime electrical use & in the summer holidays could be net electric producers & make a buck.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home